We have provided psychotherapy training in Bristol since 1986 to trainees from across the south west region and Wales. Alongside our full clinical trainings in psychodynamic and psychoanalytic psychotherapy, we provide a range of training opportunities, some of which can be taken as stand-alone courses for personal interest or CPD purposes.
Our training is well respected, accredited by the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) and is delivered by experienced psychotherapists, many of whom trained with us. Our venue is also home to Orchard Street Therapy Rooms, so we offer a collegiate atmosphere where you will have opportunities to interact with practising psychotherapists as well as other trainees.
A core component of our clinical training is the training therapy requirement at a frequency of twice weekly for the psychodynamic training and thrice weekly for the psychoanalytic training. This does make the personal therapy aspect of our trainings more expensive than the once-weekly requirements of some other psychotherapy training. However, we find that this is an essential foundational experience for deeper presence, engagement and containment in longer-term psychodynamic and psychoanalytic work.
Benefits of training with us
- Training is delivered in small groups with seminars scheduled to fit around work commitments
- Pre-clinical and clinical training fees incllude access to PEP-Web, the -on-line psychoanalytic library
- Clinical training fees also include an annual subscription to the British Journal of Psychotherapy
- Access to an extensive collection of books and journals through SIP’s Library
- All clinical trainees are automatically given Student Associateship membership with SIP, making them eligible for trainee membership with the BPC
- Our consultation and referral service allows us to provide training patients referrals to trainees
- A limited bursary fund is available to trainees, by application, to top up the fee paid by a training patient on a low income
- We have a Placement Co-ordinator for trainees who require additional psychiatric experience or wish to see patients in an agency setting
- SIP manages Orchard Street Therapy Rooms and offers clinical trainees sole use of room 6, free of charge, for up to 6 hours per week
- Pre-clinical and clinical trainees are matched with a personal tutor with whom three meetings per year are included in the training fee
For those wishing to complete a full psychotherapy training we offer two distinct pathways in psychoanalytic or psychodynamic psychotherapy. If you are unsure which pathway to follow, please see the BPC website for more information including a brief explanation of the differences between psychodynamic and psychoanalytic psychotherapy.
If you have no, or limited, previous experience of psychoanalytic theory we would encourage you to complete our introductory course first. Each of the two training pathways has distinct entry requirements as detailed on the relevant training page. We do recognise that some applicants may have previous learning equivalent to our pre-clinical courses and others may qualify for ‘modified entry’ to the clinical training. Please read the relevant training page for more information and contact us before you apply if you think you can evidence equivalent learning.