Latest Government Advice: https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response
We are confronted with challenges on many levels; to our health, our relationships as well as our way of working. In line with the BPC guidelines, SIP acknowledges that each one of us have to find their own way of working with clients, be it online or over the telephone. No doubt, important insights will be gained in this process and I hope we will be able to create a forum to reflect on these in due course.
We endeavour to keep you informed of any changes in government or BPC guidelines which might affect the way you are working below. Please check it regularly and keep well!
Chair of Membership, Severnside Institute for Psychotherapy
BACP’s COVID19 Campaign:
We’ve launched a campaign to maximise the role of counselling and psychotherapy in supporting people through the coronavirus crisis. Counselling has a critical role to play in helping people come to terms with changing work and family circumstances, financial insecurity, isolation, bereavement and uncertainty. We’re also aware therapists and providers have seen funding cuts and sessions drop, reducing their ability to provide much-needed support.
Our campaign, with BPC and UKCP, identifies actions to address the challenges that we’re sharing with UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock MP and equivalent Health and Mental Health Ministers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
We’re asking all counsellors, professional bodies, membership groups and service providers across the counselling sector to support this campaign. Please sign the petition and share across your networks. Our combined voice will help us demonstrate strong support for counselling during this critical time.
Information and advice from professional bodies:
- BPC Registrant guidance: https://www.bpc.org.uk/news/guidance-registrants-coronavirus-covid-19
- BACP FAQ’s page: https://www.bacp.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/faqs-about-coronavirus/
- BACP guidance for self-employed therapists: https://www.bacp.co.uk/news/news-from-bacp/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-your-business/
- UKCP Guidance: https://www.psychotherapy.org.uk/ukcp-news/midweek-mindset/information-about-coronavirus-covid-19/
Information and guidance on working remotely
- BPC online and telephone sessions: https://www.bpc.org.uk/news/covid-19-update-online-and-telephone-sessions
- BACP guidance on working online: https://www.bacp.co.uk/workingonline
- UKCP remote working guidance: https://www.psychotherapy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Psychotherapeutic-practice-and-working-in-isolation.pdf
- ACTO (Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy Online) Online working advice for clients and non-ACTO therapists: https://acto-org.uk/covid-19-coronavirus-advice-from-acto-for-clients-and-non-acto-therapists/
Other useful information and material
- PCP’s (Partners for Counselling and Psychotherapy) Therapist Hub, including links to virtual support meetings and webinars for therapists, and advice on benefits: https://www.partnersforcounsellingandpsychotherapy.co.uk/the-therapist-hub/
- ‘The Digital Age on the Couch: Psychoanalytic Practice and New Media’ by Alessandra Lemma