We have members with full voting rights who are either psychodynamically or psychoanalytically trained. Members of other Membership Institutes of BPC can join as Clinical Associates.
We welcome applications for membership from psychotherapists who have completed a training in psychoanalytical psychotherapy equivalent to SIP’s own training. The basic requirements are that:
- You have had psychoanalysis or psychoanalytic psychotherapy with an approved therapist at a minimum frequency of three times per week throughout your training
- You have worked with two patients intensively (at least three times per week)
- One patient will have been seen for at least two years, and the other for at least eighteen months
- Therapy with these patients has been supervised by an approved supervisor(s) throughout training
To apply for psychoanalytic membership please complete and submit this Application Form.
Your application will be considered by SIP to determine whether Direct Entry as described here, or our Modified Training is appropriate for you.
Psychodynamic psychotherapists who have completed a training equivalent to SIP’s training are welcome to apply for psychodynamic membership of SIP.
- You have undertaken 3 -4 years of twice-weekly psychoanalytic psychotherapy with a BPC registered and approved training therapist
- You have worked with two patients for psychotherapy at least twice per week, for one year (equating to at least 250 hours of psychodynamic psychotherapy in total)
- You have received a minimum of 120 hours of supervision with a BPC registered and approved psychoanalytic or psychodynamic training therapist
To apply for psychodynamic membership please complete and submit this Application Form.
Clinical associate-ship is available to any adult-trained psychoanalytic psychotherapist registered with the BPC through a different member institute or, exceptionally, to psychoanalytic psychotherapists registered with other equivalent organisations.
Clinical Associates can participate in SIP’s CPD activities and be invited to invited to give seminars to training candidates.
To apply for Clinical Associate-ship please complete and submit this Application Form.