Experienced psychoanalytic psychotherapists who would like to register with the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) and join SIP may be able to follow a Modified Training in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy.
Completion of this course leads to:
- Membership of the SIP
- Inclusion on the BPC Register of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapists
MPPT course components
- Once accepted for the Modified Training, each trainee follows an individually tailored programme of theoretical and clinical seminars led by experienced teachers.
- Trainees see two training patients, at least 3 times weekly, for at least 2 years and 18 months respectively. Individual weekly supervision is required for each training patient with an SIP approved supervisor. Attendance at clinical seminars will be expected until the completion of the clinical requirements for the course.
- A final clinical paper is required, demonstrating the integration of theory with clinical work.
- Adult Psychotherapists will be required to complete an Infant Observation Course unless they have already done so.
- Each participant will be allocated a Personal Tutor for the duration of the course.
Who is the course for?
- Experienced psychoanalytic psychotherapists not registered with the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC).
- Qualified Child Psychotherapists.
If you are already registered with BPC and would like to join SIP, please see our Membership page.
- A minimum of 2 years clinical experience since qualification.
- Having received intensive personal psychotherapy equivalent to that required for the SIP Clinical Training. You can still be considered if not meeting this requirement, but further personal psychotherapy will then be required.
- A suitable personality to undertake and sustain intensive psychotherapeutic work with adults.
When does the course run?
Trainees may join the training at the start of any academic year. (It may be possible to join at the start of the spring or summer terms if that is appropriate and if practicable within SIP’s training provision.)
How much does it cost?
Modified trainings are negotiated with each applicant to ensure a full adult training is covered but without unnecessary duplication of previous study. Fees are then worked out according to how much of the full training will be covered.
Enquiries and applications
If you would like to make an application, or discuss doing so, in the first instance please email your contact details and a note of your interest to our administrator on firstname.lastname@example.org.